Not all scars show, not all wounds heal. Sometimes you can't always see, the pain someone feels

- -

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Part of Life : DotA

Defense of the Ancients

It has been my 7th year playing this multiplayer strategy-rpg game..
playing this games for that long period of time must have been change the way I behave, it affects how I socialize with others, it affects my perception of taking an information and how I express my opinion, furthermore it also affects skills and abilities that I've learned, that I wanted to learn, and also skills and abilities that I don't have or I don't want to learn...


DotA, as so many other popular games, has a really bad "image" in the eye of non-gamers, parents, and teachers, even the gamers themselves, including me, realized this fact.. but it is true that game is like a nicotine, game is like an alcohol or drugs, it has the addiction effect on you, that force you to have a great will to be able to resist the temptation of playing it.. and therefore, can we make a conclusion that gamers are just like smokers, alcoholics, or drug users are all weak-willed people? I must say that IMO, the answer is absolutely "no", some people have their own reason to keep playing games, to keep smoking, and to keep drinking alcohol, even in facts that they already know the bad effects of that habit,

Personally, I know I'm really addicted with playing DotA, and even I'm already 22 years old, I still playing it, and you know what? I also play it in my workplace, haha, didn't it make me seems like a bad person huh? Yeah, yeah, games are Venomous, games are poisonous that what most people said to me when they see me playing DotA, but it is true game is a toxic, it brings so many bad effects on me which is :
Addiction
I am addicted to DotA, yeah, I just don't know, it's really tempting for me, this game is like keep calling me to turn-on my PC or laptop, and start playing it, the first time I played this game, is when I was a 2nd grade-student in my Senior High School.. at that time, we were really not so addicted with this game, but when we start to understand the gameplay of that game, we started to get addicted to it, the peak of addiction was actually happen in our 3rd grade, when we have a spare time, between the regular school time and additional UN-prepared time, we always visit a gamenet that 5 minutes away from our school, but fortunately, we can control ourselves and hence we pass the exam with an exceed expectation marks, since we diligently studying together at that time. When I spent a month in ITS Surabaya, I never played this game again, and until I got accepted in STAN, I started to play again hehe, I am a type of person that is quick to understand but having a bad motivation to keep it good, I always perform outstandingly in my early years of study, and begin to sink in the middle years, and start to "bounce" again in the last period, therefore even I started to play DotA again, but I rarely done it, maybe it only 2-4 times a month (excluding solitary games, which is far more boring than battlenet), and when I become a 2nd grader, I started to over-played this game, it is really the time when I got "alienated" when I feel like I have my own realm, the time when I realized that people around me are having a hard time just to trying to "greet" me..

Something that is too "overly-done" is never been good, I spend too much time and money for playing, I started to get a B- mark, I am having a hard time socializing with friends and family, I begin to forget about priority, and the worst is, I even forgot to take care of myself, which is really pathetic, all of this are the effect of addiction.. I really grateful some people still reminds me about this, and it's time to gradually reduce the frequency right?

but talking about DotA, the effects are not always negative, I really got something useful from this game, people said, games increase your ability to think n react fast, it exercises your brains, it teach you how to mixed logic and creativity at the same time, it teaches you about teamwork, it teaches you about some computer and internet stuffs, it teaches you some rarely used vocabulary, and even DotA teaches you to respect others non-verbally, since it is an online games, games is always brings good for people who know how to use it, but in most cases, the addiction effect significantly beat the good one, people start to forget socializing in "real" word, start to yelling, flaming other players freely, forget to exercise their physical body, forget their lessons in school, forget their "real-world" friends, ignore their family, yeah, what is comes up is always the bad effects right?

And, so, should I stop? to 100% stop is really takes a long time, since DotA always giving me something that nothing is this real world gave me, it gives me the pride, since it is the only thing that I do great, something that I do better than most of my friends, something that most people admitted that I did really great at.. I was really bored to see or look at testimonials from my friends about me since my senior high school time, they always said that "He's calm" or "He's quiet person" or "He's Tall" or "He's Balinese" and even some testi like "He's smart",, wtf, smart? I never want to be a nerd really, Tall? isn't that obvious? Balinese? oh come on, did I always got attention because of that "difference"? I really grateful no one ever said "He's Hindu".. I just really want someone knows my inner-side, or at least praise me sincerely, that praise is something that I only go in DotA praise that is means lot more than a prize...


Haha, sharing something like this is always makes me relieve, and on the topic, I should've grown up, and I know, I should begin to reduce my gaming frequency, I hope that I can do it, good luck dude, hehe..


"do not over-analyzing, life is simple"
- The Holstee Manifesto, Lifecycle Video -

0 comments:

Post a Comment